About Our Blog

Thanks for visiting! I created this blog to share updates on my family and how grateful we are for all the blessings the Lord has given us. I am happily married and the busy working mommy of two very active little boys. We enjoy raising our family and making memories together. I blog about the ordinary adventures of family life and my many other mommy-interests.

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Night and Day

I am amazed at how different Brendan is from James when he was a baby. I don't know why because I understand that they are two different people, but what totally different personalities they seem to have, at least so far! From the moment each was born, my boys have been unique. James is still the same from the moment he was born. He came out screaming bloody murder while Brendan made one short cry and then was essentially silent until we left the hospital. In the delivery room I kept looking around and asking if he was ok because he was so darn quiet compared to James!

My oldest is what parenting books call "spirited". That cracks me up. I think it is a nice way to say I have my hands full! James is my passionate child. He loves life and throws himself into it completely, feeling everything so intensely and expressing himself in the same way. He is a people person, totally hilarious, giving and forgiving. He rides the wild pendulum between life of the party and introvert so absorbed in busyness he forgets anyone else is there. I have never seen such a determined little thing. He works intently to solve problems and just does not give up. I am sure he will grow into a strong man one day that loves, works and plays with his whole mind, heart and body. I would not trade his feisty personality for anything because it just makes James, James.

My youngest, so far, seems to be my mellow, easy-going child, what the books would call an "angel" or maybe a "textbook" baby. He is content to sit with me and as long as he nurses regularly and gets in some good snuggles, he stays pretty happy and content. I know you are thinking, well yeah, duh, he is a baby! He should be pretty content with that. But with James, not so much. He was a flailing mess of arms and legs, not wanting to cuddle. Even as a newborn it was as if he couldn't wait to get down on his own and start being silly and having strong opinions about things.

One of Brendan's nicknames is the Mellow Munchkin due to his totally laid back attitude. He is so go with the flow. I have pretty much decided that God is good to you like that when it comes to second babies, especially babies that are so close in age to your first. I am not sure many moms would survive the toddler era of their first child is they ended up having a "spirited" baby on their hands too! If you are ones of those women, bless you! Now I have heard of a few exceptions to this idea of calmer/easier second babies, and for all I know Brendan could turn into absolute hell on wheels as a toddler, but as a baby Brendan is just pretty easy. I swear sometimes he looks at me like "Mom you are trying so hard to manage us two kids, I am going to cut you some slack". His gentle nature is my saving grace right now as I steel myself up against the roller coaster highs and lows of having a toddler in the house. Anyone who has had a toddler knows what I mean. Sometimes I swear I am hanging on to my sanity by a thread! But just when I think I am failing miserably at mothering two under two, James will smile at me with a big yogurt covered smile, or he will spontaneously kiss his brother, or Brendan will nestle up against my neck with his sweet baby smell, and I know that all is right in the world and that we will make it. Then I smile a little to myself, thinking that in time these two kids will be great companions. And how do I know this for sure? Well James is just like me and Brendan is just like Daniel. And so far, things are working out pretty great for the two of us. :-)


2 comments:

Jen said...

Hey Lauren, Jen Ehman. Very cute blog! Thanks for sharing it on FB. I love this post, mainly because Ahnica is a very spirited child as well and it is my "fear" that our second will be just the same. I really hope we are as lucky as you to get a second, laid back baby. They are just both adorable!!!

Lauren, Daniel, James and baby Brendan. said...

Thanks Jen! Well you and I are kindred spirits. I will pray that Gabe is an "angel" baby! :-)

About Our Family

In a nutshell, we're a family that is all about having fun and spending time together. Our family is made up of Daniel, Lauren, James and Brendan. We share our home with our orange tabby Tucker and our lab-mix Cheesecake. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in December 2010. . We thank God for all the blessings he has given us and never forget we have been given amazing gifts in our children. We love how blogs let us stay connected with family and friends. Thanks for stopping by to check out what is new with us!