About Our Blog

Thanks for visiting! I created this blog to share updates on my family and how grateful we are for all the blessings the Lord has given us. I am happily married and the busy working mommy of two very active little boys. We enjoy raising our family and making memories together. I blog about the ordinary adventures of family life and my many other mommy-interests.

Friday, July 31, 2009

A note to my first born...



Dear James,
So today is your last Friday as an only child. I can't believe you will be becoming a big brother in a few days. Of course, we are so excited to meet the baby, but I have mixed emotions about you losing your spot in the limelight. I feel little pangs of guilt now and then knowing you will have to share the attention. I guess that is normal for moms. I hope you adjust well. I hope you still know that you are my special boy. You are such a sweet little doll of a thing and I could not love you more. Being your momma has been the best experience and it made me want to grow our family!

I wanted you to have a sibling because I feel that it is really important and I think that you and your brother will have a wonderful time growing up. Daddy and I cannot wait to watch you play together and take you on adventures, like vacations and camping. We can't wait to see you riding bikes together and falling asleep next to each other, my two sweet cherub faces turned into each others in the comfort or deep sleep. We can't wait to see you both tearing into Christmas presents and getting all dirty and grass-stained at baseball games. We know you will fight and argue, but we know you will form a strong and unbreakable bond. You will have someone to share childhood with, someone to go through life with. I am hoping and praying that you become best friends over time. I hope you make amazing memories together. I never had a brother or a sister and even though my life has been WONDERFUL, I think that people should have siblings and I wanted that for you more than anything.

Today you are in the best mood and such a little cuddle bug. I feel in my heart that you understand something big is underway. It is as if you know that I am tired and need to rest. You are willing to settle for playtime with me on the couch under the blanket. You are trying to read me books instead of the other way around. Every now and then you lean over an put your head on me, your version of a hug. You keep patting my stomach and calling it "booooon", your word for "balloon". You LOVE balloons and Daddy and I keep telling you that it is not really a balloon, but instead your baby brother. We have tried explaining to you that your baby brother will be coming to live here next week. We have read you a book about becoming a big brother and showed you where the baby will sleep.


I have read many things on how to help an older sibling adjust to a new baby. I have tried to follow the advice so the transition is easier on you. One thing we have done is to get you some new toys, books and videos that you will get whenever I am in the hospital and then bring the new baby home. You will get to play with the new things while I am feeding the baby or when people come over to visit the baby. I know that I will be exhausted and overwhelmed at first, but I PROMISE to take time every single day to make you feel as special and as loved as you are, just me and you.


No matter what, you will always be my baby too. I will always have room in my heart and my lap for my first baby, my special baby, my baby that first made me a mother. And made me love it.

I love you forever.
Momma

2 comments:

Ali said...

Beautiful! :)

Amanda said...

lady that made me cry a little. james is so lucky to have you as a mommy and daniel as his daddy! i know he is going to be a great big brother and love baby brendan as much as everyone loves him. congratulations sweet boy, you're gonna be a great big brother

About Our Family

In a nutshell, we're a family that is all about having fun and spending time together. Our family is made up of Daniel, Lauren, James and Brendan. We share our home with our orange tabby Tucker and our lab-mix Cheesecake. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in December 2010. . We thank God for all the blessings he has given us and never forget we have been given amazing gifts in our children. We love how blogs let us stay connected with family and friends. Thanks for stopping by to check out what is new with us!