About Our Blog

Thanks for visiting! I created this blog to share updates on my family and how grateful we are for all the blessings the Lord has given us. I am happily married and the busy working mommy of two very active little boys. We enjoy raising our family and making memories together. I blog about the ordinary adventures of family life and my many other mommy-interests.

Sunday, December 27, 2009

The Babycook........5 Stars!


I am the proud owner of the Babycook! After you get past the lame name, which sounds to me like you are going to cook the baby, you can appreciate its true awesomeness! Because my friend Kelli suggested it and because I am never one to disappoint, here I will chronicle my first baby food making experience with The Babycook. Who knows, maybe there is someone out there reading this that is considering this contraption....read on my friends as I give my review!

A little background: I made a LOT of James' baby food. It took a LOT of time and a LOT of effort and made a LOT of mess. I wanted to make B's baby food too. I am big on making sure Brendan does not get the shaft just because he is not the firstborn. So far I must say I am pretty proud of myself for how I have done.....pregnancy journal for B, check. Baby book for B, check. Photo sessions of B, check. And the list goes on. So of course, when it comes to baby food I want to do the same. But I admit that I was dreading it, because it is such an ordeal! If I never see a foodmill again in my life is will be too soon. Enter.....ta-da......The Babycook!

I heard about it from a friend at work who is expecting twins and made her toddler homemade baby food. She shared in my misery of it after the newness and excitement of it wore off. The benefits of homemade baby food are obvious: 1.)tastier by far 2.)contains more vitamins and good stuff 3.)leads kids to like/tolerate veggies better as toddlers and children because they veggies actually taste good as baby food (green stuff CAN taste good!) 4.) saves you a ton of money in the long run and 5.)makes you at ease because you know that nobody is recalling your food.

I checked it out online and told my parents about it. My fabulous dad who is big into cooking like I wish I had time to be, thought it was a great product and wanted me to be able to make B food too. He knows that with a toddler underfoot that it would be more challenging to make the good food like before. He ordered it and it arrived, wrapped up in pretty William Sonoma wrapping paper. Tonight I used it for the first time. I made butternut squash puree with hardly any mess, cleaned up and got the food into the freezer in about 25 minutes (15 of that I spent playing with my cutie-patootie). Check out my play-by-play, inspired by the Pioneer Woman (a blogger I love, check her out under blogs I follow) and the cool way she has her cookbook designed.

The butternut squash. Total price: $1.50. The Babycook cost $150 (gasp!) but I am here to tell you, it is worth EVERY PENNY! I plan to use the tar out of this thingee and I will not be retiring it with Brendan. I'm already planning to keep using it as a steamer because it is faster and easier than any steamer I have seen and I bet it makes some rockin' apple sauce!

All diced up. FYI - Butternut squash is a great thing to buy if you need a veggie to go a long way! I have enough left to make lots more baby food, to put in tortilla soup (delish AND authentic Mexican cusine!) and to roast up for James and me (Daniel won't touch it!).

In the Babycook, ready to go!

The Babycook steaming the food. It took about 15 minutes.

The puree after The Babycook pulsed the diced squash.

The nifty freezer storage container. It is silicone and once frozen, the little food "cubes" just pop out to be stored in a freezer bag. I am making up more squash and sweet potato to freeze tomorrow.

Tomorrow's serving, all ready to go!

Anything for you B!

THANK YOU NANA AND GRANDDADDY FOR THE BABYCOOK! IT IS WONDERFUL!

1 comments:

Lil Eskimo said...

this thing looks GREAT! that puree looks so good I want to eat it!!

About Our Family

In a nutshell, we're a family that is all about having fun and spending time together. Our family is made up of Daniel, Lauren, James and Brendan. We share our home with our orange tabby Tucker and our lab-mix Cheesecake. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in December 2010. . We thank God for all the blessings he has given us and never forget we have been given amazing gifts in our children. We love how blogs let us stay connected with family and friends. Thanks for stopping by to check out what is new with us!