About Our Blog

Thanks for visiting! I created this blog to share updates on my family and how grateful we are for all the blessings the Lord has given us. I am happily married and the busy working mommy of two very active little boys. We enjoy raising our family and making memories together. I blog about the ordinary adventures of family life and my many other mommy-interests.

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Boogers are yuck!

James informed me of this today while I was cleaning off his little face. Ahhh, the profound wisdom of a two year old. So true little guy, so true. Boogers ARE yuck. And you know what might tie for yuckiness? Germs! The germs that must be everywhere in this house and multiplying like crazy! The germs that are making them sick! I cannot get ahold of the germs attacking my boys.....I promise you that one of them is sick at least once every ten days. Right now, Brendan is under the weather and I am home with him today. He feels lousy and so do I, just from seeing my happy guy feeling so poorly. It is as though one is sick, gets nursed back to health and then BAM, I look over and the other one has a runny nose, hacky cough and a diarrhea diaper. Sorry, but it is true. Whatever this funky bug is, it involves lots of snot and lots of poo. A little vomit is thrown is just to keep things interesting. Oh, glorious Motherhood! No I am not making this up.....it is MOMMY VS GERMS! I know they go to daycare and this is supposed to be "normal". Well, it is also frustrating and sad. Who likes to see their babies feeling crummy? Not to mention, did I bring up that I am SOOO out of days at work it is not even funny? I guess that happens when they make mothers use all of their sick days for maternity leave. Brilliant plan isn't that?! But I digress.

Germs I am after you! I can't stand you! You are bringing the boogers that are yuck! So you must go! And YES, I am aware that I can't put the kids in a bubble, but frankly that did cross my mind. I see them at daycare sanitizing stuff all the time and it is a super-clean facility.....well as clean as you can be when a majority of your inhabitants still wear diapers and explore noses with tiny fingers. Thanks to his school, James is addicted to washing his hands. I would worry about the obsessive nature of this new hobby if I were not convinced that it is the sole reason he is not sick every day of his life. So, in the spirit of cleanliness, I decided to get after those germs here at our house. While I think we do a pretty good job of keeping clean and tidy, I decided to attack it all at once! If nothing else, I feel satisfied. I guess like a cathartic release. Now I am exhausted and need a nap. But let me tell you what I did to rid this place of the yucks. First step was loading about a million (ok, a thousand?!) plastic toys into the bathtub with a water ad bleach solution for a nice soak. Next step, wiping down everything that was plastic and too big to fit in the tub or had batteries. After that? Sanitizing all door knobs, faucet handles, toilet flushers, light switches and place mats. Then? Wash all current linens and all the baby blankets in hot water. Steam sterilize all the pacifers, sippy cup lids and bottle nipples in this house. Finish off with mopping the floor with the Swiffer wet. Ahhhhh, it FEELS cleaner!

Loaded up all the germy toys! Well, all the germy, plastic, non-battery operated toys....


Taking a soak.....

1 comments:

Cowtown Camera Girl said...

Whoa....I am impressed with your thoroughness! You've inspired me. I'm going to try to do that with our toys this weekend.

Hope your kiddos get well soon! Summer is so close!

About Our Family

In a nutshell, we're a family that is all about having fun and spending time together. Our family is made up of Daniel, Lauren, James and Brendan. We share our home with our orange tabby Tucker and our lab-mix Cheesecake. We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary in December 2010. . We thank God for all the blessings he has given us and never forget we have been given amazing gifts in our children. We love how blogs let us stay connected with family and friends. Thanks for stopping by to check out what is new with us!